Wednesday, August 19, 2026Today’s Paper

Who is advertising the Soweto Marathon ? CGA says 2026 race is not sanctioned. 

The 2026 Soweto Marathon is being advertised but Central Gauteng Athletics (CGA) has not been sanctioned it. 

This was confirmed to Africa Daily on Tuesday, 18 August 2026. 

Posters and social media posts advertising the African Bank Soweto Marathon for 29 November 2026 are already circulating online.

The Gauteng Tourism Authority has also listed the event for Sunday, 29 November at the Johannesburg Expo Centre in Nasrec, with the marathon, half-marathon and 10km races advertised.

Mandla Radebe from CGA has now confirmed that Soweto Marathon race for 2026 has not been sanctioned.

“The 2026 Soweto Marathon has not been sanctioned by Central Gauteng Athletics (CGA) at this stage,” 

“CGA is an athletics controlling body in the jurisdiction of central Gauteng and therefore we cannot entertain the inclination that any athletics event can proceed without being by the custodian of athletics,” said Radebe. 

The development is significant because the race is already being presented publicly as a 29 November event, despite CGA confirming that it has not sanctioned the race and has not been involved in planning it.

This announcement has already caused confusion amongst runners. 

Soweto Marathon co-founder Thulani Sibisi told Africa Daily that runners have approached him asking whether the People’s Race will take place this year.

“I honestly don’t know what to tell them. But from what I know there hasn’t been any formal announcement about Soweto Marathon. In fact I doubt it will happen because winners have not been paid, ” Sibisi said.

The uncertainty surrounding the 2026 event is compounded by the unresolved prize money from last year’s marathon.

Athletes who competed in the 2025 Soweto Marathon, including winners who were entitled to prize money are still not paid. 

Radebe confirmed that the outstanding 2025 prize-money position remains under discussion.

Asked about the total amount outstanding, the number of unpaid athletes, why they had not been paid and when payment would be made,

Radebe said:

“The outstanding 2025 prize-money position is currently the subject of reconciliation and engagement with the relevant parties. CGA does not believe it would be responsible to publish an unverified figure or number of affected athletes while that reconciliation remains incomplete,

“CGA is also not the entity responsible for explaining or assuming the underlying financial obligations of the organiser,” Radebe said. 

He went on to say : “What is important is that athletes who are legitimately owed prize money must be paid, and CGA is engaging the relevant stakeholders to facilitate a resolution.”

He said that they will provide further information once the outstanding amounts and affected athletes had been formally and independently verified.

The outstanding 2025 prize money raises further questions about the financial readiness of the 2026 race.

Africa Daily asked Radebe whether it had ensured that the organiser had secured sufficient funding to guarantee payment of the 2026 prize purse.

“No sanction has been granted for the 2026 event and, accordingly, CGA has not accepted any financial arrangement as satisfying the requirements for sanctioning, ” Radebe responded. 

He said there must be “sufficient clarity and compliance regarding the lawful authority and governance of the entity seeking to organise the event. Resolution or a credible and verifiable plan for the outstanding 2025 athlete prize money, 

demonstrable financial capacity to conduct the 2026 event, adequate security or ring-fencing of the 2026 prize purse, 

appropriate financial and governance controls and compliance with the applicable ASACGA CGA sanctioning and technical requirements,” he said. 

“These requirements are intended to ensure that athletes, participants, and other stakeholders are adequately protected, ” said Radebe. 

But the question of who is behind the advertised 2026 race remains unresolved.

Radebe was further asked about entities, namely, Soweto Marathon NPC and Soweto Marathon Trust claiming authority over the marathon.

He did not identify which entity they currently recognises as the official organiser of the 2026 race.

Radebe said: “CGA has indicated in its previous media statements that we recognise the Soweto Marathon as the event and there can only be one on our fixture list.”

He could not identify who was responsible for publishing and distributing the posters. 

He also could not confirm or deny whether an official launch had taken place. 

His response was “no comment”

Asked whether entries were currently open or when they would officially open and which entity was authorised to receive entry fees. Again his response was “No comment”

The latest development comes against the backdrop of a prolonged governance dispute surrounding the People’s Race.

The Soweto Marathon has been embroiled in disputes involving the Soweto Marathon Trust, the Soweto Marathon NPC and CGA, with competing claims over the management and control of the event.

Some of those disputes have spilled into the courts.

Gauteng MEC for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation Lebogang Maile has recently stepped into the crisis, saying he wants to help revive and “save” the iconic race.

Maile has engaged Central Gauteng Athletics, beneficiary clubs, the Soweto Marathon Trust and individuals identifying themselves as founders of the marathon.

Those engagements have themselves become contentious.

Sibisi accused Maile of sidelining him from the engagements.

Maile’s office subsequently disputed Sibisi’s account, saying he had received an invitation on 11 August.

The MEC’s office also said the Soweto Marathon Trust had apologised for Sibisi’s absence, indicating that he was unwell.

The Soweto Marathon is one of South Africa’s most recognisable road races.

Established in the early 1990s, it grew into a major national event attracting thousands of runners and became closely associated with the history and identity of Soweto.

But years of governance disputes and unresolved financial problems have increasingly threatened its reputation.

Now, with the advertised 29 November date approaching, the People’s Race finds itself in an extraordinary position.

For runners who are already asking whether the race is happening, the uncertainty is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore.

African Bank was approached for comment on its involvement in the 2026 race and the outstanding 2025 prize money.

Africa Daily will update this article when responses are received.

Don't Miss

AfriForum, March and March forge a marriage

Lobby groups AfriForum and the March

NPA welcomes denial of bail in alleged R34 million drug trafficking case

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in