Tuesday, August 18, 2026Today’s Paper

Fresh bail bid in R10m insurance murder case as William Shokane returns to Polokwane court

By Nakampe Lekwadu

Accused number six in the controversial R10 million insurance murder case linked to former police sergeant Rachel Kutumela is expected back in the Polokwane Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 18 August, for a fresh bail application based on new facts.

William Shokane, one of the relatives accused of being part of an alleged family syndicate that targeted vulnerable people for insurance payouts, is expected to rely on his deteriorating health as part of his renewed bid for freedom.

His lawyer, Emmanuel Kwinda, told the court during the previous appearance that the defence needed time to properly prepare the new bail application. The application is reportedly linked to Shokane’s health, with his lawyer previously telling the court that his client had become seriously ill in custody and was allegedly experiencing paralysis. The defence was awaiting a medical report. The matter is also expected to continue on Wednesday, 19 August.

The latest development comes after a lengthy bail battle involving several accused in a case that has attracted national attention because of allegations that nine people were murdered so that members of the alleged syndicate could collect insurance and funeral-policy payouts.

According to the State’s case, the accused allegedly benefited from insurance payouts totalling approximately R10 million. The alleged crimes are said to have taken place over several years, with investigators tracing suspicious deaths and insurance policies involving a number of victims.

The alleged scheme

At the centre of the case is former police sergeant Rachel Kutumela, who was arrested in October 2024 while she was still a serving police officer.

The State alleges that Kutumela and members of her family were involved in taking out life and funeral policies on vulnerable people and subsequently benefiting when those people died.

Police and prosecutors allege that the victims included relatives and people who were vulnerable because of their financial or personal circumstances.

The alleged syndicate is accused of orchestrating the deaths of nine people and subsequently submitting insurance claims. The investigation has linked payouts to several financial and insurance institutions, including Absa, Standard Bank, Capitec, Hollard, Assupol, Old Mutual, OneLife and Clientèle.

Kutumela faces a substantial charge sheet including murder, fraud, money laundering, receiving proceeds of unlawful activities and defeating the ends of justice.

Her sister, Anna Shokane, and daughter, Florah Shokane, are also accused in the case.

Allegations of manipulating crime scenes

One of the most serious allegations emerged during the earlier bail proceedings when investigating officer Captain Keshi Mabunda testified about Kutumela’s alleged conduct as a police officer.

The State alleges that Kutumela used her position as a police first responder to attend scenes where some of the victims were found, allegedly even when the incidents fell outside her normal jurisdiction.

Mabunda testified that this allegedly gave Kutumela an opportunity to influence or manipulate information surrounding the deaths and subsequently assist in speeding up insurance claims. These allegations remain part of the State’s case and have yet to be tested at trial.

The investigator also told the court that money allegedly obtained from an insurance payout was used to finance an extravagant wedding. According to the testimony, about R3 million from the alleged proceeds was used for the wedding, including luxury vehicles and a helicopter.

The first arrests and bail battle

Kutumela, Anna and Florah were arrested in October 2024 and subsequently appeared before the Polokwane Magistrates’ Court.

Their bail applications were unsuccessful and they remained in custody.

The investigation subsequently widened, resulting in the arrest of additional family members and alleged associates.

In November 2025, Leshweng Johannes Shokane, Rachel’s brother, was arrested in Moletjie outside Seshego. He was later added to the case and faces serious charges, including nine counts of murder, money laundering, receiving proceeds of unlawful activities and defeating the ends of justice.

His case was repeatedly postponed as the State and defence dealt with bail, legal representation and issues surrounding his ability to follow court proceedings. The court also ordered that he undergo mental observation after concerns were raised about his ability to participate properly in the proceedings.

Six more suspects arrested

The investigation took another major turn in March 2026 when police arrested additional suspects believed to be linked to the alleged syndicate.

Among those arrested were Thomas Shokane, William Shokane, David Kutumela, Damaris Selepe, Benedictor Mataba and Martha Ruiters.

The six were brought before the Polokwane Magistrates’ Court and joined the existing case. They face a charge sheet containing dozens of counts, including murder, fraud, money laundering and other offences.

The State alleges that the group formed part of a wider network involved in insuring people who later died under suspicious circumstances.

Lengthy bail proceedings

The bail applications became protracted, with the accused appearing repeatedly in the Polokwane Magistrates’ Court from March through June.

The State strongly opposed bail, arguing that the accused had failed to demonstrate exceptional circumstances and that releasing them could put witnesses at risk.

During the proceedings, investigating officer Captain Mabunda told the court that nine people had lost their lives in what the State describes as gruesome circumstances and that the accused allegedly benefited from fraudulent insurance claims.

The State argued that the seriousness of the allegations and the accused’s alleged conduct created a risk that further offences could be committed or that witnesses could be interfered with if the accused were released.

Three accused granted R10 000 bail

On 26 June 2026, the Polokwane Magistrates’ Court granted bail to three of the accused.

They were:

•⁠ ⁠Damaris Selepe
•⁠ ⁠Benedictor Mataba
•⁠ ⁠Martha Ruiters

Each was granted bail of R10 000 under strict conditions.

The conditions included attending all court proceedings, reporting regularly to police and refraining from interfering with State witnesses. The court found insufficient evidence that the three posed such a risk to witnesses that they should remain behind bars.

Four denied bail

The court, however, refused bail to Thomas Shokane, William Shokane, Robert Shokane and David Kutumela.

The State’s concern about possible interference with witnesses was central to the opposition to their release.

The four were described as being closely connected to the alleged family network, with David Kutumela being Rachel Kutumela’s husband and the Shokane brothers being her relatives.

Johannes Shokane, who had also been pursuing bail, abandoned his bail application. He consequently remained in custody.

William Shokane makes fresh bail bid

With the previous bail application unsuccessful, William Shokane is now attempting to secure his release on new facts, reportedly centred on his health.

The application was scheduled for 18 and 19 August after the case was postponed on 11 August. Proceedings had previously been disrupted when courtrooms were reportedly declared uninhabitable following a sewage spill, further delaying the matter.

The outcome of this fresh application could determine whether Shokane remains in custody pending the High Court trial.

High Court trial scheduled for October

The wider case has now been transferred to the Polokwane High Court, where the main trial involving Kutumela and her co-accused is scheduled to run from 5 to 30 October 2026.

Rachel Kutumela, Anna Shokane and Florah Shokane remain in custody after their earlier bail applications were unsuccessful. The additional accused will face the High Court proceedings as the State continues with its case.

The prosecution will have to prove its allegations beyond reasonable doubt. None of the accused has been convicted, and the charges against them remain allegations until determined by the court.

For now, the spotlight remains on William Shokane’s fresh bail application, while the much larger trial — involving allegations of nine murders and insurance payouts of about R10 million — looms in the Polokwane High Court in October.

Don't Miss